IU's overriding consideration with every decision during the COVID-19 pandemic is protecting the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff, and community. As we continue to comply with local, state, and federal orders and guidelines, the greenhouse remains closed to visitors. Because of the fluidity of the situation, we cannot predict when facilities will reopen. We will post updates as they become available.
Visitor hours and guided tours
Leave your worries at the door as you wander through each of the conservatory rooms full of both unusual and familiar plants. Free and open to the public.
We welcome all ages. Because some plants are toxic or hazardous to touch, we ask that children be well supervised.
Access the greenhouse through Room 139 (located at the southeast corner of the Biology Building on the IU Bloomington campus).
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
7:30 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.
7:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday
9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Closed during some holidays and IU breaks. Check our Facebook page for closing notices.
Things to remember
To help you enjoy your visit, please keep the following in mind:
- This is a working greenhouse. The plants require daily care (e.g., watering, pruning, transplanting). You may need to temporarily move to another part of the greenhouse until tasks are completed.
- Floors are frequently wet.
- Do not touch the plants or take any of the fruits.
- We ask groups, classes, artists, and photographers to make appointments so as to avoid conflicts with other visitors or greenhouse maintenance. See below for information about scheduling a visit.
- When in doubt, ask. Our knowledgeable staff is happy to answer questions.
Parking is available in the Atwater Garage (921 Atwater Avenue, Bloomington) just a block south of the Biology Building. Enter the garage from South Faculty Lane between Atwater Avenue and East Third Street.
A parking fee is charged on week days, but parking in the garage is normally free on Saturday and Sunday.
Contact the IU Office of Parking Operations for other options.